Monday 30 September 2013

We made it!


Well we finally made it to Washington DC...after about 27 hours from departing little old Adelaide. The flights were generally pretty good. I surprised myself how calm I was, I think I was just so exhausted I just wanted to get on the plane and finally relax. 


We landed in Sydney with a very turbulent entry that even made Wade feel queasy. Then it was time for the big one, 15 hours from Sydney to Dallas. The flight wasn't as bad as I thought it would be but did get fairly boring. However I don't think I got through 1 movie from start to finish. I'd put one on and then I'd be out like a light. We slept a bit but it was a weird sleep with crazy dreams. Wade had some guy behind him who thought you had to punch the touch screen in order for it to work. So everytime old mate couldn't make up his mind on what to watch and scrolled the the choices, Wade would be flung forward. He was too polite to say anything, bless him. 

I got really excited when I saw that we were only an hour or so from Dallas, where we were to get our connecting flight to Washington DC, when an announcement came over the loud speaker from our captain informing us that Dallas airport was closed due to bad weather. We had to turn back to El Paso airport (everyone here laughs when we tell them...'oh texas') to refuel and wait for clearance. We had to stay on the plane and we waited for an hour or so before continuing our journey. 

When we arrived at Dallas American Airlines staff were very efficient and had in hand our new connecting flight boarding passes. They were calling out surnames (which was hilarious for some when champion was read out) and rushed through to customs and immigration. We were soon on our way, albeit a few hours behind schedule. We were just happy to be heading to DC. We experienced an amazing sunset on our AA flight and the big day took its toll on Wade. 


We arrived at Washington airport to find that our luggage had been put on another flight and would be delivered to our hotel in the morning. I was so thankful that I packed a change of clothes in my carry on....and wade thought I was crazy! We had the funniest cab driver who took us to our hotel. Firstly, I nearly sat in the drivers seat, still trying to get my head around that, then he couldn't understand us due to our strong Aussie accents. I mumble at the best of times, so it's making it tough for the yanks to understand a word I say. He loves his city and was proud to tell us all about it. He wasn't happy that we were only starting 3 nights...too much to see and do! 

After a 12.30am check-in we were feeling a little worn out and quite hungry, so we went for a walk a few blocks to get pizza. To say I was scared was an understatement, but wade was so hungry that a potential mugger didn't seem so scary after all. Streets were fairly quiet til we hit one strip that was full of clubs and eateries, a bit like Hindley St just a little cleaner and more cops. We got a couple of slices of your standard pepperoni and cheese pizza and headed home. Wade smashed his mega slice and amongst the chewing I managed to hear ... 'I love America!' ... Gotta live him. 

We were asleep by 2.30 am local time and excited about the day ahead. 

Walshy xo 

1 comment: