Friday 11 October 2013

New York, New York


Wow!! Where do I begin?! New York was amazing. Firstly because I got to finally see Mark and Terri but also because there are so many things to see and do in this crazy city. We got to do most of the things we wanted to do but still plenty more for next time. 

We stayed in an apartment in Brooklyn, which was fantastic. Loved the neighbourhood and was only a quick subway ride to the city. 

The 7 days & nights flew by as we packed them to the max. Pulling 12-13 hour days out and about exploring what New York had to offer, left us exhausted and left little to no time to update my blog or travel journal.

Here are some of our highlights from the week. 


Day 1 


Metro cards sorted! Ready to tackle the subway.


First New York hot dog for the kids.


The four of us back together again. We loved walking around the stunning Central Park and taking advantage of the natural and man made beauty of this amazing part of NYC.



We took in some amazing views from the top of Belvedere Castle. The stairs were a little scary... But I did it! 


Such a stunning oasis in amongst the concrete jungle. 

We were pretty excited to score tickets to letterman! 

Time square.

Day 2 

Finally got to meet Tim and Shelley, who have been living with Mark and Terri in London for the past year or so. We walked through the Chelsea Markets - which I loved!! And walked the High Line, which was amazing. 





We walked the gorgeous streets of Greenwich Village and found the venue where Bob Dylan apparently played his first live New York gig. Very cool.


We continued to walk the streets and came across Washington Square where wade became friendly with the squirrels. They loved him. Those things freaked me out and don't even get me started on the germs!!  




We also checked out Rockefeller Centre and CBS studios. We didn't go up - but Wade and Mark did end up going later in the week.



We were so excited to head to The Late Show. It was awesome - Dave was great. He came out and chatted to the crowd, answered questions and shared some funny stories. Tom Sellick was the main guest, which Terri loved! Tom's biggest fan. 


We visited Times Square ..  Again.... 


...and hasseled the local cops. This one's for mum haha 



Day 3 

The Met was amazing. Seriously not enough time to see all exhibits in the time we had. Wade was in heaven, massive history and museum geek, to be honest I was a little over them after the Met. Just. Way too many things to see and take in.





Tiffany's!!!!! Loved this place so many levels of dazzling diamonds and all thinks sparkly! 

Wade bought me a gorgeous necklace for my bday and Tez also got something from her parents. Very lucky girls! 


One of those things that just had to be done... 



Day 4 

Feeling the the effects of a very hectic holiday, we decided to chill out and walk the streets of Brooklyn. Seriously loved this place. The houses were gorgeous, well some, and the Forte Greene Park was stunning. We visited the local farmers market, where lots of produce was on show. Pumpkins are everywhere at the moment as people prepare for Halloween. Would love to be here for it, they take it pretty seriously over here. 




After a walk through Chelsea a Markets... Again... another one of my favourite places, we ventured out to Staten Island Ferry to see the Statue of Liberty. Due to the US government shutdown visits to her were not available, but we were quite happy with a trip on the free ferry to get a glimpse of her. This wasn't the best day for it, a bit overcast, but still fun. 




That evening we walked around Brooklyn Bridge. The photos don't really do it justice, these were only taken on my phone. But it was just gorgeous. Loved it! 


Day 5 

The day had finally come... Game day... Giants v Sea Eagles ... The day I had been excited and very nervous about. When purchasing tickets to the game I knew that we were going to be up high, the very last row of the final tier of the entire stadium, but seriously this place was ridiculous!! I freaked out half way up, but after som encouraging words from Wade, I made it to our seat. I sat in silence for the 1st half, out of shear fear of how high we were. I went for a walk, psyched myself up again, and was all good for the second half. 

I may need to practise my American footy skills, not great!


Early in the piece...strained smile and white knuckles!


The bro was proud of his sis. 

The atmosphere was amazing, I've never experienced anything like it. Mark made friends with 2 old guys that were sitting next to him, and he ate most of their pretzels. I purchased a giants hoodie, and they ended up losing. Wade said I should jump off the giants as it's only early days of my love for NFL, before the hardship begins, I quickly reminded him that I follow Richmond, I know what it's like to lose, all good! I can handle it. 

Very fun day, followed by a visit to grand central station....which was beautiful all lit up. I ran into my GP which was completely random, but lovely as she's a gorgeous lady. We then headed back to Brooklyn and ate amazing pizza at Grimaldi's. So good! 



Very cheesy, but so so good!
 

Day 6

This was our final full day in NYC, and we were feeling a little sad, and wade was stressing out that we hadn't seen everything...that was always going to happen. We tried our best and enjoyed our time, can't ask for much more than that. 

It was fairly average weather, overcast and rainy, not like anything we had during our stay as yet. 

Wade and I bought a camera, with the expertise of Tim, which was very exciting and then we headed out to the 911 memorial site. The waterfall footprints of the twin towers are quite spectacular to see and it was very moving reading the names of the people who lost their lives, and thinking of their families. It makes you realise, you just have no idea when your time is up, and not to take anything for granted. To be there with Mark was fairly special as he and I watched the breaking news that night of sept 11, back in 2001, as others would have, in complete shock. 




We walked down Wall Street to check it out, not really much to see. 


Then we headed to Time Square...again! Pretty over the place by this stage. Wade and I were fairly keen to catch a broadway show, so being our last night, we had to get tickets. We lined up for half price tickets to Phantom of the Opera, which Wade has wanted to see for ages, as his parents loved it. It was in the line that the weather started to turn.....


I braved it out and was completely drenched by the end of it. Terri and I sought refuge in Starbucks, while Wade and Mark conquered the rock. 

Still a little damp and slightly disheveled, I was super excited about seeing my first ever theatre production, and I wasn't disappointed. Absolutely amazing. Loved it!!

Day 7 - final few hours in NYC 

Before flying out to LA, we took another stroll down to Brooklyn Bridge. We absolutely fell in love with New York, especially Brooklyn, and will be sure to return.



Walshy xo

2 comments:

  1. Oops sorry... Left a huge gap at beginning of post, and have noticed many typos. I'm rushing to get it down before my trip ends. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post Rhi - and made me realise how much I didn't see while I was there last year. Definitely have to go again! Looking forward to pics from the rest of your trip xx

    ReplyDelete